Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 15: Looking at the Good Book.....

Day 15: Share your favorite Scripture.

I’ve got LOTS…...too many to narrow it down to just ONE......here’s a few:

Isaiah 41:13 “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.”

That verse has always given me comfort and been a long-time favorite of mine…….just knowing that as long as I’m doing the work of God that I’ll be okay. He’ll get me through whatever life may throw at me.

This is one of my favorites too:
Mark 12:47-50 – “And after this, Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury; and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she cast in two mites, which make a farthing. And Jesus called his disciples, and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they who have cast into the treasury; For all the rich did cast in of their abundance; but she, notwithstanding her want, did cast in all that she had; yea, even all her living.”

James 2:14-19 (and I’m using the New Living Translation here because I like how it reads better than good ol’ King James)
“What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless. Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.” "You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?"


Another favorite passage:
John 15:1-11 - “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

II Nephi 6:59-64 “When they are learned, they think they are wise, and they hearken not to the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves; wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness, and it profits them not. And they shall perish. But to be learned is good, if they hearken to the counsels of God. But woe to the rich, who are rich as to the things of the world. For because they are rich, they despise the poor, and they persecute the meek, and their hearts are upon their treasures; wherefore their treasure is their god. And behold, their treasure shall perish with them also.”

(that one is kind of a wake-up call to what your priorities should be, don’t ya think?)

Here’s another good one:

Ether 5:6-7 “…..Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.”

And from the Doctrine and Covenants……..I just love the meaning behind these:

D&C 161:1a – “Lift up your eye s and fix them on the place beyond the horizon to which you are sent. Journey in trust, assured that the great and marvelous work is for this time and for all time.”

D&C 161:3a- “Open your hearts and feel the yearning of your brothers and sisters who are lonely, despised, fearful, neglected, unloved. Reach out in understanding, clasp their hands, and invite all to share in the blessings of community created in the name of the One who suffered on behalf of all.”

D&C 161:7 – “The Spirit of the One you follow is the spirit of love and peace. That Spirit seeks to abide in the hearts of those who would embrace its call and live its message. The path will not always be easy, the choices will not always be clear, but the cause is sure and the Spirit will bear witness to the truth, and those who live the truth will know the hope and the joy of discipleship in the community of Christ.”


That’s enough bible study for one night, don’t you think? I have lots more favorites, (I didn’t realize how many favorites I actually had ‘till I sat down and thought about it!) and I tried to toss stuff out there a little less common than the 23rd Psalm (which I love) or John 3:16…..those are too easy, kwim? :D And I tried not to get too ‘preachy’, since that’s not the point!!!

So ponder all those and have a blessed night! :D

No comments: